Tale of two projects

Sometimes you envision a yarn and project, and then something goes wrong.  What do you do?  Well, at the beginning of the year I was in just such a situation.  I started with some lovely custom dyed Jaggerspun Super Lamb DK, that was perfect for a baby blanked. 
I did a large swatch and loved the result. However when I washed the sample, the hand painted yarn bled all over the white. It was disappointing so the sample got shoved to a corner. I moved on to other things.

At the beginning of this week, while organising the studio, I found the sample. I decided the yarn was just too nice to leave it in limbo. It was time to rip. After unraveling the sample, I realised that there was enough for a small scarf.  Out came the 8-shaft Ashford table loom.  On went a warp that was 8 inches wide by 72 inches long.

You can see that I didn't bother to was the yarn before warping.

 
I really wanted to get it onto the loom, and the cloth would have to be washed once finished.  Why wash it twice?

This
has become this.
 Even, though the initial knitted project didn't work out, the yarn still ended up in a successful woven item.  I gave the scarf a rinse with some vinegar which stopped the bleeding. Then washed it to take away the vinegar smell. Now I want to do this as a larger project; perhaps a blanket.  I must confess that I'd rather weave a blanket than knit one.

Happy Easter and happy crafting.

Comments