Cool Spinning - Hot Weaving

From left to right: Tussah Silk, Ramie single (red), Silk/linen single, Silk/Cotton blend and Cultivated Silk, Silk/Seacell blend (last three).




Inkle woven bands, using 10/2 mercerized cotton.
Yes, I know it has been a long time since I last posted.  I really don't have any excuses and have to admit that I am not the best blogger (hangs her head in shame).  Since it's been so long, I'm just going to start with what I'm currently working on.

I hardly ever weave things for my home. This is going to become hand towels for the kitchen.  I have a red and yellow kitchen so I'm going to do a set in red and a set in bright yellow. 

8 shaft Extended Manifold Twill
The warp is natural cotton and the weft is a combination of 20/2 mercerized cotton and 22/2 cotton/linen.  I'm using UKI Supreme mercerized cotton and BOCKENS COTTO-LIN; just look at all these beautiful colours

I've already woven this pattern in natural organic, colour-grown cotton; which I really love.

Hand Towels: warp: natural 8/2 cotton; weft: 8/2 organic brown, olive green organic cotton and 20/2 oatmeal organic cotton.
The organic cotton ones are samples for the studio. I like to have samples for people to touch. It's incredible how the colours, primarily the green, changed after just one washing.  I did a warm wash/cold rinse but I think I'll do the next set with a hot wash/cold rinse. 

Here's a bit of cool spinning. 
Cultivated Silk on the Ashford Traveler.

Today, I spent some time on my front porch spinning on the Joy.  I just love this wheel.  I rarely spin out-of-doors with my Little Gem, but I'm not so precious with the Joy.


I haven't been doing very much knitting or crochet.  There's just too much weaving and spinning to do.  It might be crazy, but I'd like to eventually have woven, knitted and crocheted samples of the different yarns and fibres I carry.

Stay tuned; there's much more to come.

Comments

Dee said…
Love, love, love the weaving. Could you please tell me the source of the drafts? Thanks so much!