Back in the Studio


This was the view from my studio on Monday evening.  

I can’t believe it has been over two months since my last post.  Time is racing by way too fast.  I caught a really bad cold in September which returned with a vengeance in October.  Finally, last week, after being sick for so long; I decided it was time to listen to my body and get some much needed rest.  I spent two days mostly sleeping and it has made such a big difference.  I still have a bit of a cold but at least, now, I have energy and am able to get some real work done.

So what have I been working on? 
Last Sunday was spent washing fleece.  This was my first experience with raw fleece and, over all, it was not as bad as I expected.




My friend and I shared two Leicester lamb fleeces and the shepherdess gave us a sample from her Blue-faced Leicester ram (the dark fleece).  I love BFL but what a difference between prepared top and the actual fleece.  We will be driving to the farm next April/May to select more fleeces.

Both looms are warped and I’ve started weaving some scarves on the Glimakra. 
 
This is a simple 10 shaft/10 treadle pattern.  Once washed, the wool section will felt and I should have an interesting/textural pattern.  I have to play a bit with my samples to determine how much/little fulling, I want.  I’m hoping that these scarves will appeal to men looking for something classic and stylish.

There has also been a lot of spinning but, I'll leave that for another post.

Comments